With operational costs of over £2 million a year, Chester Cathedral relies entirely on the generous donations our visitors and congregation provide. Donations are used to keep the building open to the public by paying for heating, water, electricity and lighting. Among many other things, general donations also provide:
- Our worship spaces with candles for chapel candle banks;
- Our education department with an education officer and supplies for school visits;
- Our music department with a Grand Organ that is maintained and tuned monthly;
- Our falconry with supplies to create engaging educational activities for children;
- Our gardeners with tools and equipment to maintain the estate.
All general donations help to fulfil the implementation of the cathedral’s five-year strategic plan, outlined in our purpose statement.