Holy Trinity with Dove, c.17th century
Tempera and gilding on panel
22cm x 18cm
Loaned by the University of Liverpool Museum and Galleries
The Holy Trinity with a Dove
Artists from Constantinople established themselves in Crete, as elsewhere after the fall of the Empire. Crete was part of the Venetian Empire, which was a melting-pot for East and West. This image of the Holy Trinity is in a Western iconography, the Father and Son identical and the Holy Ghost as a Dove. Father and Son are borne up by the Cherubim and their feet rest on clouds. Between them they hold the globe of dominion, the Father holds a sceptre and the Son makes a gesture of blessing. The figures are solidly three-dimensional, though the highlights on the robe of the Son are picked out in a network of fine gold lines, a characteristic and decorative feature of Byzantine art which resulted from the continual creation of new images on the basis of old and without reference to nature.
(Text from booklet: Icons presented by Professor Robert Roaf FRCS in the University of Liverpool Gallery, 1986)
The Roaf Icon Collection
The icons were donated to Liverpool University by Professor Robert Roaf who was Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University from 1964 to July 1976. After graduating from Oxford in 1934, with a first class honours degree in physiology, he qualified in medicine in 1937. In 1939 he was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh, in 1942 of the Royal College of Surgeons in England, and in 1946 he achieved the Mastership in Orthopaedic Surgery. Professor Roaf showed academic interest in his subject very early, and this was recognised by his appointment in the University as part-time lecturer in 1947, and in 1955 as Director of Clinical Studies and Research at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry. He held appointments as consultant orthopaedic surgeon not only to the Liverpool Teaching Hospital, but also to several hospitals in the Region. His research work on spinal deformities gained him international recognition, and he travelled widely, teaching and demonstrating over the Indian Sub-Continent and Africa as well as in Europe, America, Russia, South East Asia and China. He was consulted at a national level on orthopaedic problems, and was a member of the Central Accident Services Review Committee set up by the National Health Service. Professor Roaf was also a Member of the General Medical Council and from 1971-74 was Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University.
(Taken from the Liverpool University biographical records)